Monday, December 17, 2012

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte


            I just recently began a foray into the wonderful world of classics. Although I am an avid reader (and a former English major), I must admit that I haven’t read a vast majority of classic literature (among that list: Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, the Count of Monte Cristo…boy, does the list go on!). In an attempt to be a more well rounded reader (& book lover in general), I picked up a “classic” that has been on my “to-read” list for some time now: Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte.
           
I found my copy of Wuthering Heights in a precariously tipped pile of long forgotten books in a corner of my basement. With a torn cover and yellowing pages, my copy heightened my reading experience (it’s far more romantic to read a classic when the novel has character!). I am a firm believer in the fact that a book has not only the ability to stay with a reader and leave an imprint on their soul, but the reader also leaves a part of themselves among the pages, hidden in the words and phrases that affected them the most. This novel certainly tops my list of stories that have fostered this type of internal reciprocity in my life; overall, Wuthering Heights had a strong impact on me, and pulled on my heartstrings across the centuries.

To be completely honest however, when I first cracked open this novel, I wasn’t immediately hooked (shocking, after the great review I’m giving it, I know). I trudged through at least four chapters (until around page 40 in my edition) before I honestly felt compelled to keep reading for more reasons than creating a (spectacular!) blog post. I fully and wholeheartedly attribute my renewed interest in Emily Bronte’s writing to the introduction of the background story of Heathcliff. (For those of you who are unaware, Heathcliff is the ultimate swoon-worthy bad boy who you hate to love, but love nonetheless). By far, he was the most fascinating and profound character in Wuthering Heights for several reasons: 1. Heathcliff’s Unknown Origin (Is he really an orphan who Mr. Earnshaw discovered and took mercy on, or is he Mr. Earnshaw’s illegitimate son? What happened in his life leading up to his entrance at Wuthering Heights?) 2. The Concept of Nature vs. Nurture (Heathcliff’s entire storyline raises the question of whether his thoughts and actions are the result of his environment and experiences or his inherited characteristics) 3. Heathcliff’s Fluctuation Between Extremes (Heathcliff appears inhuman as a result of his anger and malignancy one minute, yet in the next, he is exposed as vulnerable and heartbreakingly weak in his love for Catherine) 4. His full name (first and last) is Heathcliff (just cool and mysterious…enough said)

It’s true: at times I hated him, and at times I loved him, but there is no way NOT to be drawn into the world of Heathcliff; he shapes and makes Wuthering Heights in every way. In fact, Heathcliff uttered the vast majority of my favorite lines within Wuthering Heights. I’m including a few Heathcliff conversational snippets below that I believe highlight his palpable grief at losing the love of his life, Catherine:

“And I pray one prayer- I repeat it till my tongue stiffens- Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living! You said I killed you- haunt me, then! The murdered do haunt their murderers. I believe- I know that ghosts have wandered on earth. Be with me always- take any form- drive me mad! Only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh God! It is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul.” (163-164)

“What is not connected with her to me? And what does not recall her? I cannot look down to this floor, but her features are shaped on the flags! In every cloud, in every tree- filling the air at night, and caught by glimpses in every object, by day I am surrounded with her image! The most ordinary faces of men, and women- my own features mock me with a resemblance. The entire world is a dreadful collection of memoranda that she did exist, and that I have lost her!” (307)

There are a myriad of heartfelt and heart wrenching dialogues within this novel that drew me in and captivated my attention (I dare you to pick up this novel and not be emotionally moved). At its heart, Wuthering Heights is a novel, which chronicles the thwarted love between Catherine Earnshaw and Heathcliff, and the ways, in which their lives intertwine, collide and change based upon their interactions. There is no denying that Emily Bronte is a skilled writer with the capacity to capture raw human emotion. She has utilized a framed narrative technique effectively in order to create a literary work of art that highlights a plethora of themes including love, death, revenge, and familial tensions and tragedies.

The story is told by Ellen “Nelly” Dean, a housekeeper and nurse who is intimately acquainted with each character. Nelly takes it upon herself to regale Mr. Lockwood, a new tenant, with the history of Heathcliff and the Earnshaws at Wuthering Heights (and also Thrushcross Grange).  Nelly is an unreliable narrator who appears self-righteous and slightly controlling, but ultimately harmless. However, my initial impression of Nelly, changed after reading an interesting article, entitled “The Villain in Wuthering Heights,” (which can be read at JSTOR). In the article, the author James Hafley details a compelling argument that identifies Nelly as the villain of Wuthering Heights. Villain or not?...Read the book and the article, and judge for yourself!

The only part of this novel that really irked me was Joseph’s dialogue. I know that Emily Bronte was creating a character that was believable, but boy, was he hard to understand!!  Also, I was a little surprised at the ending of the Wuthering Heights. I do not feel as if Heathcliff or Lockwood experienced a moment of revelation or insight. Heathcliff remains self-centered and vindictive until the end (with more than a dash of crazy). Lockwood on the other hand, after hearing the entirety of Heathcliff and Catherine’s story, declares presumptuously on the very last page of the novel: “My walk home was lengthened by a diversion in the direction of the kirk…I sought, and soon discovered, the three headstones on the slope next to the moor; the middle one grey, and half buried in the heath; Edgar Linton’s only harmonized by the turf and moss creeping up its foot; Heathcliff’s still bare. I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.” For me, this “happy ending” that Lockwood portrays, over-romanticizes and ignores the truth at the heart of Nelly’s story. It is nearly impossible to imagine Edgar, Catherine and Heathcliff resting in eternal peace side by side; their intertwining lives were anything but peaceful on earth! It is through this last paragraph that I find undeniable evidence to support my assertion that Lockwood, an unreliable narrator to the end, learned nothing from Nelly’s story.


P.S. This is an excellent novel to read if you are intent on increasing your vocabulary (SATs or GREs anyone!?).  Words like: lachrymose, propitiate, cogitation, obviate, ague, salubrious, laconic, carrion, inveterate and elysium  (I could go on!) fill the pages of Wuthering Heights.

Total Points Awarded:
19

Point Breakdown 101:

Category 1: Theme
A. Consistent and clear theme(s)
B. Fully developed and explored theme(s)
                -Tie into plot and character development
C. Thought invoking theme(s)

                Total Points Received in this Category: 3
               
Category 2: Characters
A. Characters are unique
B. Characters are animated and relatable (3 dimensional)
C. Characters possess human characteristics and depth
D. Character learns something about self or world; Experiences a moment of clarity/ revelation
E. Characters seek to enhance plot and themes

                Total Points Received in this Category: 4
                ***Points Lost: Did not meet requirement D

Category 3: Plot
A. Beginning, middle and end (although not necessarily in that order)
                -Organized structure (interrelation of all parts of a story to make a whole; completeness)
B. Cohesive, thoughtful design to story telling
C. Meaningful, significant purpose (what aim to reveal, criticize, or showcase)
                -Clarity, thoughtfulness and relevance of detail to enhance purpose
D. Presence of a struggle /conflict/ trial/ adversity
E. Interesting/ attention holding
F. Satisfying Conclusion
                -Brings together Plot, Theme, Character in a succinct and satisfactory manner
               
Total Points Received in this Category: 6

Category 4: Style
A. Writing style is accessible to readers (not elevated language)
B. Style accurately communicates themes and enhances character representations
C. Contains consistency in expression, execution and design of ideas
D. Illuminates rather than obscures basic human truths
E. Effectively helps to create a complete reality
F. Effectively communicates human emotion with unique and powerful language

Total Points Received in this Category: 6

Caitlin’s Overall Opinion:
            Wuthering Heights is indubitably timeless: Read. This. Book. It’s a classic for a reason!

(If you are eager for more, try: H: The Story of Heathcliff's Journey Back to Wuthering Heights by Lin Haire-Sargeant or Return to Wuthering Heights by Anna L'Estrange)

No comments:

Post a Comment